Thursday, November 16, 2023

Chronic Pain Thoughts: Volume 16

 Dear Reader,


Today's episode is “What the Shit”. I am going to talk about things that I always thought were embarrassing, I've always been led to believe you don't talk about these things to people, anytime I've tried people look at me like I'm crazy!


I've had stomach issues as far back as I can remember. I vividly remember telling my mom around 8-Year-old that my stomach really hurt every time I ate.


I also remember that day, while in Catholic School, that the first wave hit. I was crampy, dizzy and had massive diarrhea. I literally was so embarrassed as the kid's made fun of me already, I didn't need to add any more fuel. I couldn't leave the toilet and had to have one of those mean girls go get a teacher. From this point on I just learned to deal with it.


Things only got worse when I got my period. I was still told by my nurse mom that all this was “normal growing pains”.


I was always so embarrassed by this, I have been to several different doctors in my adult years, only to be dismissed. It's frustrating and life altering to deal with stomach issues like this. I've spent more times that I can count in public bathrooms, blowing them up. The last time was at Disney World!


Why am I telling you this? Because I'm not embarrassed anymore, I'm frustrated! I am 44-year-old women who suffers from chronic pain and a bad stomach! I'm sick of being ignored, I'm sick of being told “It's normal”, or “It's just in IBS or in your head.”


After ignoring my issues for year, I ended up having emergency gallbladder surgery, then ended up with pancreatitis. I'm done ignoring my symptoms and am putting my foot down that this is worse than IBS.


I have proof this time. During my 2-week hospital stay I had 3 CT scans and 2 of them say positive for Colitis. No one followed up with me about this, so once I saw it and started having major issues again, I made them aware.


My point is, if you feel like something is wrong, speak up. If you feel like things are worse than what the doctor is telling you, say something. We have to speak up for ourselves, our healthcare has changed to the point where we are needlessly suffering!




No comments:

Post a Comment