Monday, November 20, 2023

Chronic Pain Thoughts: Volume 17

 Dear Reader,


Over the weekend I found a very interesting article. I recently changed pain doctors and was told that if Cymbalta, Lyrica or Gabapentin didn't work for me I can't have fibromyalgia. This article points otherwise.


I was just scrolling Pinterest and it spoke to me. I am always interested in the opinions of others when it comes to medications. All I ever want is relief, I tell every doctor I see, I never feel good and I'm always in pain. Life just really sucks but I try to make the best of it, I struggle through my day, every day.


Too many medications for fibromyalgia just don’t work. There are so many medications for fibromyalgia, and while they all work for a small percentage of those living with the illness, too many don’t work for the vast majority of those living with fibromyalgia.”


I have Gabapentin a good 6-9 months and it was awful! I was then moved to Lyrica which I was to take 4x per day! I lasted about 1 year. Cymbalta, I lasted the longest, over 10 years. I learned quickly that it will work until it doesn't, the doctor's will keep upping your dose until you're on the max, one day you'll realize it turned you into a zombie without realizing. The people who figure this out right away are the lucky ones.


For all that the drugs have done for Fibromyalgia (FM), the evidence suggests that none of these drugs are particularly helpful for many people with FM. Dr. John Quintner of the National Pain Report points out that the Number Needed to Treat (NNT) for Lyrica indicates that only one out of ten FM patients taking Lyrica is likely to receive a fifty percent or greater reduction in pain. It’s one out of six for Cymbalta and one out of eight for Savella. That means only a small percentage of FM patients can expect their pain levels to drop really significantly on these drugs. via Prohealth.com


Medications for Fibromyalgia vs Marijuana (countingmyspoons.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment