Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Chronic Pain Thoughts: Provider Call Out

Dear Reader,


This is my own personal experience. Someone else may have a better visit or communication.


It's also important to note that I am aware of my current personality flaw of my frustration coming out as anger. I did apologize to the provider regarding my attitude during the appointment.


I finally followed up from my June/July 2023 hospital stay. I had 2 CT scans that stated Colitis and why they thought that. I brought this information Gastroenterology person that I was referred to: Sally Bowa, APNP with Prevea in Green Bay, WI.


I went into the visit with an open mind with a few pages typed notes on what I went though, my experiences, what test results I have and when, what I was looking for and that I could not go through another colonoscopy. My notes also included all the medications that I've previously tried and the results.


We all know that a colonoscopy prep isn't great. It's not a fun time, I however have a terrible reaction to all of it. I've had 2 in my lifetime thanks to all my issues and both times have had the same result. I explained that I was promised extra support during the most recent one (in December 2022) and that it wasn't given.


I can drink the prep, the first time I didn't even empty even a little. This second time I was given a different one, I started it early. The prep for me means being awake for 24 hours, feeling hot, dizzy and sick. I get weak and almost pass out. I get the shakes and all I can do is lay there. Both times I've ended up in the ER after discharge. I can't put myself though that again. This was both in the paper notes I gave her, and I addressed it verbally.


She sent me for a hydrogen glucose breath test. Of course, as with everything else, my test results came back fine. I asked what's next, I have these two CT scans that state Colitis and her reply was “I'll have central scheduling reach out to schedule a colonoscopy, you'll have to double prep” Nothing else. I was not even listened to. My concerns were put off, test results ignored and no follow up were asked.


All of this is the exact definition of medical gas lighting.


I would never recommend this provider to anyone. She didn't listen to a thing I said. I will no longer sit by and allow this to happen. I didn't speak out when I was dismissed twice this summer and ended up almost paying with my life. I will not just “find another doctor” and move forward. I will call them out for what has happened.


Have you been referred to a provider? Google them, check them out on www.healthgrades.com, Web MD and even the reviews on the provider's web site. Don't be afraid to leave one!




I enjoy helping people; that’s why I am committed to your health care. 

My main area of focus is with the Prevea Heartburn Treatment Center, the only center in Wisconsin with state-of-the art equipment to fully evaluate the cause of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), acid reflux or heartburn. Together, we will discuss your medical history and health care options to come up with your goals for treatment. I will work with you every step of the way to help you find relief from your symptoms.  

My husband and I have three children and two dogs. I enjoy volunteering in our community and at our church. I also like to swim, play softball, volleyball and racquetball. I enjoy many outdoor activities, such as playing with our children, watching baseball, gardening and walking with our two dogs."

Locations

Prevea St. Mary's Health Center

1860 Shawano Ave.
Green Bay, Wisconsin54303

Phone:(920) 496-4700

MORE DETAILSGET DIRECTIONS

Key Services

Education and Affiliations

Education: Master of Science in Nursing, Concordia University Wisconsin

Certifications: Family Nurse Practitioner, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners

Affiliations:

American Academy of Nurse Practitioners  

No comments:

Post a Comment