Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Chronic Pain Thoughts; Volume 29

 Dear Reader,

I no doubt suffer from medical trauma. There have been so many times where I've been dismissed, ignored and told things weren't “a big deal”. Once it almost cost me my life.


I know I'm not alone in my struggle with getting care. I'm not alone in my struggle on going in to get care.


I used to paranoid that something was wrong. I used to call into the doctor to talk to them and it usually ended up in an appointment in which “everything is normal”. My good friend at the end time accused me of having munchausen's. She was toxic and I've since come to realize this. BUT with this on top of being dismissed, ignored and shut down I've stopped trying to figure it out.


My new pain provider asks me every appointment if I've had childhood trauma. Every time I tell him “No, but I have medical trauma”. Guess what?! He shrugs it off with a soft smile. This response makes nothing better.


Medical Trauma Definition: Medical trauma is the experience of traumatic stress as a result of interactions with the medical system, which may include procedures (i.e., surgeries), new diagnoses (i.e., cancer), and professionals in healthcare settings


If you've ever experienced this or feel like, know that you are NOT alone and there are good providers out there who actually care about their patients.




No comments:

Post a Comment